Most Active Stories
Tue December 18, 2012
Applications Being Accepted for Next NIU President
Nominations and applications are being accepted for the next president of Northern Illinois University. John Peters will step down at the end of June. Applications for his replacement will be accepted through February 15th.
The co-chair of the presidential search committee says a hiring firm has been selected. The search committee will next meet Jan. 11.
NIU has a presidential search page on its website containing the presidential position description (portions included below)
Preferred Qualifications: full job description found here
- an earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree with a record of academic achievement commensurate with appointment as a tenured professor;
- evidence of successful advocacy for higher education and an institution’s particular interests among state and federal legislators, executive branch leadership, regulatory agencies, and citizens as well as demonstrated success in developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with the community in which the University resides;
- the vision, integrity, leadership skills, and experience to engage the entire campus community in maintaining the highest standards of academic excellence in an atmosphere of trust and collegiality;
- broad managerial skills and experience; a proven record of sound fiscal acumen and leadership;
- the ability to work with the board of trustees to develop the university’s priorities and strategic vision and a commitment to assisting the trustees in utilizing their full potential to advance institutional goals;
- recognition of the importance of private fundraising to the long-term financial stability of the University, an understanding of the development mission and practices, and a demonstrated ability to successfully obtain resources from both public and private sources;
- the commitment, entrepreneurial skills, and ability to foster growth of the academic, research and artistic enterprise and the infrastructure to support it;
- a record of promoting diversity and inclusion among administrative leaders, faculty, staff, and students;
- a balanced view of intercollegiate athletics that focuses on academic sucess, compliance and institutional control and athletic competitiveness;
- An appreciation for the importance of sustainability to the future of the University and community.
State of the University