Cooling centers, spray pads to beat heat
Cooling Centers / Hours
Click here to view area cooling centers and hours of operation
Click here to view statewide cooling centers
Keep Cool Illinois website
Rockford Spray Pad Locations
Friday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Black Hawk Park
S. Henrietta Park
Keeping Cool Tips Everyone (from Keep Cool Illinois)
- Stay in air-conditioned space at home, the library, the mall, movie theater or at a cooling center.
- Drink lots of water and natural juices. Avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee and colas.
- Keep shades drawn and blinds closed, but keep windows slightly open.
- Stay out of the sun and avoid going out in the heat.
- Keep electric lights off or turned down.
- Take cool baths or showers.
- Wear loose, light cotton clothing.
- Do not eat heavy meals. Avoid cooking with your oven.
- Avoid or minimize physical exertion.
- Do not sit in a hot car, even for a short time. Never leave a child in a hot car.
- Check on family members, friends and neighbors to make sure they stay cool and safe.
- If you or anyone you know needs emergency medical attention, call 911.
- It is against the law to open a fire hydrant. An open hydrant hinders the fire department's ability to fight fires, reduces water pressure in your home and may cause basement flooding.
- A Summer Survival Guide from the Department of Public Health
Special Keeping Cool Tips for Seniors
- During heat emergencies, seniors are urged to contact their local area agencies on Aging or the Senior HelpLine at (800) 252-8966 for assistance with locating senior centers, adult day service sites and other buildings that serve as cooling centers.
- Humidity combined with temperature make up the heat index, which is similar to the wind chill factor in winter. If the temperature is in the 90s with high humidity, it can feel like it is well over 100 degrees.
Keeping Cool Tips for Your Pets
- Provide water and shelter from the sun at all times.
- Restrict activity during extreme heat.
- Never leave pets in parked vehicles. Even moderate heat rapidly increases and can kill the pet quickly.