Area Museums Get State Grants For Capital Projects
Several Northern Illinois museums will be receiving capital investment grants from the Illinois Public Museum Capital Grants Program as part of the Illinois Jobs Now! construction program.
In a release Saturday, June 14, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn says the grants will help the museums better fulfill their mission and help the state's economy.
“These investments will help museums attract even more visitors, boost tourism, create hundreds of jobs and help preserve our history for generations to come.”
The list of museums receiving grants includes:
- Ellwood House Museum, DeKalb, $126,400 to replace the roof and large terrace tile, including foundation pier rebuilding, tile beds and ADA platform lift.
- Discovery Center Museum, Rockford, $294,000 to replace and refurbish exhibits for ADA accessibility, and to expand the early childhood gallery.
- Rockford Art Museum, $369,000 to upgrade storage, handling and prep work.
- Veterans Memorial Hall, Rockford, $251,900 to create and install exhibit cabinetry, repair a Civil War statue and prepare the site for outdoor monument placement.
- Lost Valley Visitor Center,McHenry County, $400,000 to create exhibits for the Visitor Center in the Glacial Park Conservation Area.
- Byron Museum of History, $351,400 to remodel the Quonset hut attached to the museum to provide more exhibit space.
- Stephenson County Historical Society, Freeport, $399,000 to remove and replace existing artifact storage and display area to include water and sewer service and make it ADA accessible. The entry drive will also be widened.
- Grand Army of the Republic Memorial, Aurora, $750,000 for cabinetry restoration, woodwork and floor finishing, partition walls, lighting, climate control and emergency systems.
- Hickory Knolls Discovery Center, St. Charles, $130,400 to create an indoor/outdoor glacial-themed exhibit including interpretive kiosks and learning stations.
47 Illinois museums across the state will receive a total of $20 million as part of this program. A complete list can be found at http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=2&RecNum=12343