WNIJ News invites you to gain real-world journalism experience in a professional newsroom.
Learn about news reporting and production as well as the spirit that drives good journalism in the “Public Radio 101” seminar.
WNIJ News professionals again are offering a four-session free, noncredit seminar at the start of the 2017 NIU Fall semester from 6 to 8:30 p.m. on four successive Mondays -- Sep. 11, Sep. 18, Sep. 25, and Oct. 2 -- at the NIU Broadcast Center, 801 N. First Street, DeKalb.
Seminar topics include:
- Journalism ethics and core values
- The "public radio approach" to news
- Newsroom etiquette and expectations
- Interviewing techniques
- Actual practice writing and editing news stories
- Writing and editing for broadcast vs. print/website
- An introduction to station technology
- Using sound to create a “sense of place”
Students who attend all four sessions will have the opportunity to continue learning alongside our professional staff and be eligible to pursue an internship in a later semester.
If you would like to participate, send your résumé and cover letter explaining your aspirations to WNIJ News Managing Editor Victor Yehling at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Public Radio 101" in the subject line. You do not need previous newsroom experience.