The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has purchased First Presbyterian Church in Rockford. The building went on sale in January. The funds to buy and renovate the church were given to Mendelssohn by donors. The center will use the building for new performance and rehearsal space.
The funds to purchase and renovate First Presbyterian Church were given to Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center by Dr. William and Leah Baskin.
“Mendelssohn will have the opportunity to not only expand its physical campus for new performance and rehearsal space, but to also expand its educational programming to include a broad spectrum of the arts, including visual arts and dance. "
-Beverly Broyles, Executive Director
- Kantorei, The Singing Boys of Rockford, will establish residence in the second floor space of the former First Presbyterian Church’s Education Wing.
- The Rock Valley Children’s Choir will continue to be in residence in the Mendelssohn Music and Movement Center in the current Mendelssohn building at 415 North Church Street; but will perform their yearly concerts at the former First Presbyterian Church.
- The Mendelssohn Chorale will continue to rehearse in the current Mendelssohn building.
- The former First Presbyterian Sanctuary will join Mendelssohn’s Emerson Auditorium and Emerson House as a performance space for concerts.
- Rental of the facility for weddings and receptions is also part of the plan.
Since 1884, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has been a source of music for the residents of northern Illinois. Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center is the home of the Rock Valley Children’s Choir, the Mendelssohn Chorale and Kantorei, The Boy Singers of Rockford. Charlotte’s Web is now a division of Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center.